I have serious food phobias.
Perhaps I should clarify that....I have serious food PREP phobias. (That sounds better, doesn't it?)
Not like that guy up there though......
Anyhow, I'm ranting on today because I am hungry. I honestly prefer to eat at home. Lately, I've been too grossed out to eat at home. The reason is food prep.
I have worked in many food establishments. There are many rules that one must follow in order to keep a food establishment running and codes you must meet and follow, etc... Most people will know this, especially those familiar with restaurants.
Of course, what I am about to say may sound AWFUL and perhaps down right rude and mean (although that is absolutely NOT my intention - so there....)
Here is a list of things that absolutely GROSS ME OUT when it comes to food prep and handling. I say this not because I am being snob, but because I have REAL fears of getting sick which, yes, has occurred before in the past several times.
1) MEAT - I cannot stand when RAW meat is left out on the counter while it is defrosting and has a leaky tray.
a) nor can I stand it when there is raw meat in either an open container or is left on a plate with not saran wrap.
b) EXTREME DISLIKE to raw meat in an open container on a tray in the sink.
c) HATE open meat trays in the freezer. You want screw up your protein, be my guest in YOUR own home, but it will certainly not occur in mine nor will I eat it in your home or mine.
I once defrosted, or attempted to defrost, an open tray of ground beef and it smelled more like someone peed in my sauté pan.
2) Jellies and Jams - if it says "Refrigerate After Opening", it means EXACTLY that.
3) Do not put cut veggies right next door to open containers of meat, cooked or uncooked.
4) Re-fridgerate ALL types of dairy products.
You might be thinking, "well, of course, I know that." Not EVERYONE knows that, though.
The reason I am complaining is because one time, I ate a yogurt that had been sitting out for a few hours. The aftermath was like the wave surge from Hurricane Katrina. I vomited like a tsunami hits a hill up the coast. I think I must have vomited twenty times.
Another time, my mom being generous like she always is, offered to heat me up some beef soup. Because it had not been cooked all the way at the canning factory, the beef in the soup was still a bit undercooked. My mom only heated the soup for the recommended amount of time which in the microwave my parents used to have meant you would have to warm it thrice the recommended amount of times.
I had it coming out both ends that night. I have never in my life felt so miserable. Morning sickness was better than having food poisoning.
It makes my stomach turn whenever I go home. I currently have long term guests staying in my house and I get heartburn just thinking about some of the things I've seen on my kitchen counter such as unrefrigerated chicken soup left out for a day.
I've expressed my concern about the handling and prep. I've probably been TOO NICE about it. I don't want to be rude or disrespectful, but I think I'm going to have to be one or the other because nothing is happening at this rate of speed. I've been so inclined to NOT eat at home that I haven't even bothered to fix a meal in almost a month.
You're also probably thinking, "well, why doesn't she put it away?"
Most of the time I do store it away because SOMEONE, in addition to myself, will get sick off the way this issue is handled.
I may not be a picky eater, but I am PARTICULAR for my food prep.
That's all....

No comments:
Post a Comment