Search This Blog

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Languages


 Fala Português/Habla Español/Parle Français/Parlate Italiano?
Current mood:  hopeful

Like I mentioned in my earlier post about The Boy, talking about different languages, his mom wants me to begin to speak to him in Spanish or Portuguese. Which I think is really cool. I think that all kids around the world should be able to speak more than one language. It'll help in the future.

Spanish was originally my first language. I kind of lived with my spanish speaking grandmother until I went to pre-school when I was three. So naturally, that's all she spoke anyhow and that's the only kind of TV she watched, so I was a speed talker. I lost it though when she died when I was eight. My father had no desire to speak Spanish with me because out of all his daughters, I was the most Americanized. So, until a few years ago when I had a reawakening, I hardly spoke Spanish at all. Quite honestly, I spoke Spanglish. (tacky way of putting things)

I picked up French and Italian in high school. I had the highest grade in my French class and during tests and the final, I'd give answers away to my fellow classmates. I picked up Italian because my father had several italian channels from the dish and I would sometimes watch his soap operas with him.

My sophomore year in college, I decided to pick up Portuguese. That is one language that has fascinated me like you would not believe (that is, if you even care). To me, Portuguese is the most lazy language and you can say anything you want however you want. it's great! My father speaks the more formal kind from the motherland whereas I picked up the lingo from some Brasilians that I knew and also from the telenovelas that my father's clients sent to him.

But in order to be really good at a foreign language, you have to practice with someone who is a native speaker or who is at least fluent. I feel that I'm not qualified enough to teach him even though I listen to latin music and watch Univision and Galavision and the other spanish channels.

Anyhow, all this to say is that I'm pretty excited about doing this kind of "coaching" and i'm intrigued to find out how he'll turn out. I feel like I'm using The Boy as my lab rat.

If anyone else wants to help, send me a message or call me.

"Non-qualified persons need not apply" (quote from somewhere-LOL)

=)

4:21 AM -  0 Comments - 0 Kudos - Add Comment  - Edit  - Remove

No comments:

Post a Comment