Thursday, November 03, 2005
Oops, did I say that?
Current mood: mischievous
I think I've mentioned that I have a particular classmate that is really loud, but also just doesn't get it.
Today in class was another classic event.
This girl is in my Spanish Literature class. The class is conducted entirely in Spanish, so what ever questions or discussions that we students have must also be spoken in Spanish.
We've been studying a peice called "La Celestina". If you really care, it's set in the late 1500s in Spain and is about a prostitute by the name of Celestina who is a money monger as well as a matchmaker. She sets two people up by the name of Calisto and Melibea. Well anyhow, think of this story as another Romeo and Juliet.
Calisto, the guy, dies by falling out of a tower and Melibea, distraught over having lost her true love, wants to kill herself. But of course, before she does so, she has a long monologue over how she lost her virginity and how she cannot live in society as a "loose" woman. Then she pitches herself over the same tower and dies.
Now, The Foghorn has no social skills. (as I've mentioned before) She shoots her hand up right away and says in Spanish, "Como sabe la gente que sí no estoy virgen?" Meaning: how do people know that I'm not a virgin? This girl is a VERY conservative Christian, for her to say something like this is out of the ordinary. She then blushed and said, "No, I don't mean me, I mean her. I'm still a virgin guys!"
That made EVERYONE laugh more than they were.
But she was in earnest and wanted to know.
So I told her, in English, "Honey, they didn't use tampons back in that day and age. They're going to know whether or not she's a virgin when she gets poked"
Everyone started howling with laughter!
This girl is so naïve, I feel so sorry for her. She is so out of place because she has absolutely no people skills.
Everyone tries so hard to not laugh openly at her because the questions she asks are absurd.
But, I guess I have to sit back and realize that there really are people who just don't know about things.
7:20 PM - 0 Comments - 0 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove
No comments:
Post a Comment