Search This Blog

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Mistaken Identities of Mothers


Tuesday, August 02, 2005

 I don't think so!
Current mood:  mellow

Everywhere that I take The Boy, everyone thinks he's my son.

"Oh, what a beautiful Minorcan baby you have! He looks JUST like you."

"Thanks, but he's not mine," I want to say or "I'm not Minorcan. Not from around here..." I get to hand him back everyday at 5pm.

It's kind of nice to have these compliments, but I am way too young to be popping out kids. That's just a personal thing of mine. I don't plan on getting married and having kids until after I'm 25 or 30.

I like kids. I mean, I kind of have to. I have 14 nieces and nephews, so disliking children is not an option. As it is, my niblings view me as "Aunt Moneybags" or Super Tia.

My sister K's kids have gaping holes in their clothes whenever I go home to visit. I think it's a ploy done by K in order to get her kids to be well clothed by other family members while she goes to get her hair and nails done and conveniently forgets that she has a $700 electric bill to pay among numerous others.

The other niblings view me as a super heroine because I'm "a fun person" and I'm "not old" like their mom(s). I have fun, exciting projects for them to do (i.e.- slave work). For example, I have them go into Abuelo Maio's (my dad's) backyard, go find as many sticks as they can and pretend that they are poor, helpless people looking for timber for the fire they have to make for their warmth and food. I even make them act like hobo's limping around the trees. All this so that I don't have to pick up the sticks and put them by the curb. Or I make them draw what they're thinking on paper. One of my nieces drew me a picture of a huge shark with eyelashes that was about to devour a "mommy fish and her baby" . She made it ESPECIALLY for me, saying that I was the Mommy fish, she was the Baby and that the Shark was my sister K. Wow, did I feel special! (can you hear the sarcasm in my voice?)

I bet these people are secretly sending me a message--"You look like a mom!"

Maybe I just need to hit the bars EVERY night and word will get around that I am not a mum. It always does in the South. (people are just way too nosy). Being from the Midwest, we have our nosy people too. We're just stealthy.

11:33 PM -  1 Comments - 2 Kudos - Add Comment  - Edit  - Remove

No comments:

Post a Comment