Search This Blog

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Spent Routes


Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Spent Routes
Current mood:  awake
Category: Life
So here I am.

I have returned to the ultimate hum-drum of Kansas City.

I honestly didn't think that I was going to be coming back here, but you know, things happen.

As I was saying, I got back two Friday's ago around midnight. Before I came home, I had spent a week in Tampa scoping out potential places to live since I was DETERMINED not to move home. After leaving my friends house in Tampa, I spent another 13 hours driving through 1) boring US Route 19 (Take only if you really want to die of boredom); 2) La Louisiane drivers are "tout mouch" - I almost got sandwiched at 70 mph and 3) the devastation of the Deep South until reaching the land of Steel Magnolias is really sad. I then spent 7 hours sleeping at a friends house then sped home like there was no tomorrow through NW La to Fort Smith, Arkansas.

Let me tell you...if you are dark like me or darker, you do not want to stop in Arkansas if at all possible. The backwoods people look at you like you're some sort of specimen from Outer Space or some sort of science experiment gone wrong. They're just not used to colorful people like me. US Route 71 is also another slow-going route until (as mentioned above) you reach Fort Smith, which is right across the state line from OK. From there until you get to Joplin, MO - some of the most beautiful views that the US has to offer are found there. Nice scenic drive and I didn't feel so "foreign"

Until recently, in fact, two weeks ago, I never believed that the State of Missouri ever had State Troopers. Always driving across Missouri and stopping at gas stations, I had always seen their "pictures" on the gas pumps saying how they would revoke your license if you didn't pay for your gas. In fact, all states have that on their gas pumps. I found out that they existed after stopping in Joplin for gas when one of them held the door open for me. I even told him I had never seen a Missouri State Trooper, nor believed they existed, save for the sticker pictures and he laughed.

"Well, ma'am" he said in his 'Missourah' drawl, "we shore do!"

I finally got home and my mom didn't believe it was me until she pinched me.

I spent the weekend in agonizing sleep deprivation since Mum had to parade me around town and say "this is my daughter! She's a college graduate!"

Actually, my mom didn't do that. I just made that up. But we did go and have a tea party with one of her Daughter's of the British Empire pals the Sunday after I got back.

Anyhow, Monday morning I had an interview and I got a job.

So now I have two jobs as a college graduate - one working from home and the other on my feet all day learning about airplane insurance. It's quite interesting.

My next roadtrip will be going back to get my stuff in FL. Since I've left all my winter items there, I need to get them. And get them soon.

The silkworms are abundant this Indian Summer.

And as the local weather forcaster says, "It's going to be a doozy out there this winter, folks!"
1:03 AM - 0 Comments - 0 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

No comments:

Post a Comment