Search This Blog

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Names that Fit Like a Glove


Thursday, September 15, 2005

 Names that fit like a glove
Current mood:  contemplative

What is it with the National Hurricane Center giving these storms their names?

I can understand it in order to distinguish them with particular characteristics, like Katrina, but there are some names that have been used over and over again. I was reading some of the reused names on the NHC's website and it kind of irked me.

It's like naming babies. There are so many names that are no longer singular, but that have been overused. I also understand that there really aren't enough standard names to go around to make everyone's unique. Like mine for example.

I am most likely the only Renata Angelina Vallazza in the world. There are people who have my first and middle names, and if you have my last name, you're more than likely related to me. But no one has my entire name like some other people have.

I worked at a summer camp earlier this summer and I wasn't surprised that there were people whose names were like, if not exact to the surname, some other people that I know.

I was scrolling though Facebook one day and found that there are (I think) almost 32 Amy Hamiltons. Some of them with the same middle name.

Is our society just bland? Or have they just not caught onto the band wagon of "They Have My Same Name"? What is going to happen to their children when they get older and are in school and the teacher calls them by the same name? 20 kids with the same name are going to respond. It's like naming your boy Michael. I have 8 cousins with that same name. Or Sarah Katherine for a girl. Well gee! I wonder who came up with that one? How unique! (sarcasm folks)

When I was a kid, I hated my name. First off, nobody could pronounce it--first and last name. I wanted to be like the other kids and have a name like Amy or Melissa. I also wanted to be pale like them, have blue eyes and blonde hair. I was so ashamed that I could also speak to my Spanish-speaking grandmother and that I watched Telenovelas with her.

Now that I am older, I am thankful that I am not like the other kids and that I was not confused when the teacher called roll in the mornings. Now, I have learned to appreciate the name my parents gave me. Also, a lot of people say that it's a beautiful name. I'm also thankful that I have brown hair and green eyes and that God gave me the advantage of knowing Spanish and, as my friend Mandy puts it, "being cultured"

Of course, not everyone thinks like me on this and many other subjects because God has made us all unique and we all have our own thoughts on how things should be managed. That's why I think we as people should begin making up names.

How else did we get some of these names anyways? It's time to get out the drawing board and start from scratch.

10:58 PM -  0 Comments - 0 Kudos - Add Comment  - Edit  - Remove

No comments:

Post a Comment