I Carry Sticks
by Renata Vallazza on Wednesday, January 20, 2010 at 5:04pm
As a somewhat recently new mom (it's been two years now, but I'm still brand new), I like to make observations regarding my son.
I believe that I am lucky and blessed to have had a boy for my firstborn. My sisters all have girls and have had to learn about the muddiness of what boys are like with their sons later on down the road. Of course being unlike their girls. Boys like to get into mischief and do all sorts of things that give us moms headaches. But they are also sweet in their own ways and cariñosos with mommies.
Perhaps it's because I was a little tomboyish as a girl. I enjoyed playing outside and in the mud and romping through creeks. I played with race cars that my father bought for me and GI Joes and Transformers. I played with Barbies too, but only on rainy days, which were sometimes few and far between. I used to help my father outside cut grass and I helped Jackie at the B&B cut down and uproot small trees. So, as I was trying to finish off here, I can relate a little to my son. :)
Recently, my son has discovered that "Outside" contains all sorts of goodness that boys LOVE. There are things he can do and pick up without having realized that Outside is not JUST for running around, back and forth, but that he can play in mud and with sticks and rocks.
Any stick he seems to pick up, he immediately begins to have a connection and a relationship with. I don't mind him playing with sticks as long as it's outside. I still have nice furniture that is being paid for. I don't want it to be wrecked. He tends to bring twigs, small sticks and big sticks - sticks of ALL sizes inside. He tends to usually use them for martial art or defense purposes. He watches his father and uncles play a lot of Modern Warfare or whatever that game's name is. I like to hear him use his little sound effects of "peoo - peoo" and the sort. I once asked him, "Qué haces, mi amorzote?" (What are you doing, my bibi?) and he'll roll his eyes and explain in Giancarlo-ish that "Hello, mom! I'm making shooting noises!" It's really cute.
Today however, I told him he could not bring it inside. He of course being two years old, said "No," and proceeded to walk off. When I finally grabbed his stick, I happened to have broken off a part of the stick that apparently to him was of some significance. He began to cry and tell me in Giancarlo Language that what I had just done was NOT cool!
"MOOOOOOM!!! HOW COULD YOU DO THAT?!!!! That was MY stick! You just broke my all powerful stick to make magical powers with!"
It actually sounded like "duh dat dee doo mami! MAMI!!! NOOOOOO! WAH!!!"
I think it's funny and endearing to know that my child is learning how to build relationships and that kind of stuff. Even if it's with a stick.
It's definitely cool being a parent.
I believe that I am lucky and blessed to have had a boy for my firstborn. My sisters all have girls and have had to learn about the muddiness of what boys are like with their sons later on down the road. Of course being unlike their girls. Boys like to get into mischief and do all sorts of things that give us moms headaches. But they are also sweet in their own ways and cariñosos with mommies.
Perhaps it's because I was a little tomboyish as a girl. I enjoyed playing outside and in the mud and romping through creeks. I played with race cars that my father bought for me and GI Joes and Transformers. I played with Barbies too, but only on rainy days, which were sometimes few and far between. I used to help my father outside cut grass and I helped Jackie at the B&B cut down and uproot small trees. So, as I was trying to finish off here, I can relate a little to my son. :)
Recently, my son has discovered that "Outside" contains all sorts of goodness that boys LOVE. There are things he can do and pick up without having realized that Outside is not JUST for running around, back and forth, but that he can play in mud and with sticks and rocks.
Any stick he seems to pick up, he immediately begins to have a connection and a relationship with. I don't mind him playing with sticks as long as it's outside. I still have nice furniture that is being paid for. I don't want it to be wrecked. He tends to bring twigs, small sticks and big sticks - sticks of ALL sizes inside. He tends to usually use them for martial art or defense purposes. He watches his father and uncles play a lot of Modern Warfare or whatever that game's name is. I like to hear him use his little sound effects of "peoo - peoo" and the sort. I once asked him, "Qué haces, mi amorzote?" (What are you doing, my bibi?) and he'll roll his eyes and explain in Giancarlo-ish that "Hello, mom! I'm making shooting noises!" It's really cute.
Today however, I told him he could not bring it inside. He of course being two years old, said "No," and proceeded to walk off. When I finally grabbed his stick, I happened to have broken off a part of the stick that apparently to him was of some significance. He began to cry and tell me in Giancarlo Language that what I had just done was NOT cool!
"MOOOOOOM!!! HOW COULD YOU DO THAT?!!!! That was MY stick! You just broke my all powerful stick to make magical powers with!"
It actually sounded like "duh dat dee doo mami! MAMI!!! NOOOOOO! WAH!!!"
I think it's funny and endearing to know that my child is learning how to build relationships and that kind of stuff. Even if it's with a stick.
It's definitely cool being a parent.
No comments:
Post a Comment