Search This Blog

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Eccentricities


Friday, November 18, 2005

 Eccentricities

I think I've mentioned that I work at a B&B on the weekends and that I meet some interesting people.

Well, that is TOO true.

On Tuesday night, the owner asked if I would innsitt while she went out with her sons and granddaughters to go see a theatre production up in Jax. This woman rarely goes out, so I said that I would. Before she left the house, she mentioned that a guest of hers didn't have a key and that I was to let her in if she rang the doorbell.

I did my usual that I do when I work there. Cleaned and scrubbed a bit, sat down and ate some food, but then I got to do my homework. I don't often get to have nice and quiet since the walls are thin at my house and we can hear everything that goes on next door. Also the school library has become a mecca for loud-mouthed ninnies who don't know what the word, "Shut UP!!!!" means. So, I sat down to utter silence.

I was really enjoying my quiet when the doorbell rang. Standing on the porch was Jackie's guest. I let her in and said hello and was going to begin the usual chitchat which she participated in.

After ten minutes of talking with this woman, I realized that she was a LONG talker. We sat down so we could talk so more! (oh, joy!) We talked for 3 hours.

This woman is absolutely crazy. And I believe it wholeheartedly.

She kept talking about why the Bermuda Triangle is the way it is. The reason why so many ships and planes go down is because supposedly there is a "trap door underneath in the sand that opens periodically and sucks whatever object(s) is(are) above it and brings it down to the civilization that is down below" I nodded my head and smiled and kept praying that I'd get out soon.

Some of the other things she was telling me was utter nonsense. But there were some things of interest I found fascinating.

We talked about geography and music and travelling abroad.

She said that even though there is turmoil going on in South Asia, that I should take the time to go visit. "Nepal is an absolutely GORGEOUS place! You should go see it before the government goes bad" Now that is so reassuring. Go visit a country before its gov't goes bust. I can't wait to get on the next plane!

Geography is a very interesting topic that is easy for me. She was telling me that South America and Africa fit together. Well that is something that I definitely know. Anyone with half a brain or at least an inkling of geography is going to realize that. I agreed with her on that and then I told her that Antarctica fit with them too. She was amazed that someone like me could ever know such a thing. I told her it was called "being observant"

The musical end of our conversation was the most interesting. I was telling her that I was a music buff and that I had lots of songs. My friends keep telling me I should DJ on the weekends, but I wouldn't even know where to begin. Anyhow, she was telling me about a particular song being used scientifically because of its mathematics. I agreed with her on this entirely. For people who know how to read music, you are constantly having to keep track of your notes, time measures, etc.

She was telling me also that this particular peice of music was the only version that could be used in the experiment she was telling me about. Using my music as an example, I told her that I had 5 versions of one song and that they all sounded different. She was impressed with that fact. I told her I could tell my roommates or my friends or even my family that the a song with the same name sounded different than the one before and that they all looked at me like I was crazy or otherwise they just couldn't hear what I was hearing. 

She informed me that all of the people who didn't "get it, are all dead. Just give up on them", she said. Well, I don't think they're dead, nor will I give up on them. I just think they don't have an ear for music. My mother noticed that when I was a child, I could hear a piece of music once and I would go directly to the piano and play it. I have a mental capacity for noticing and remember how different the notes sound.

We also talked about God. She believes that there are many deities that take on a godly form, whereas, I believe that there is only One and that's just how it's been. She also kept telling me to not believe what I read. Don't believe history, she said. It's all rubbish.

Another topic we discussed was intuitive gifts. She said that she could sense that I had it. Which made me think she was really crazy, but then I realized that she wasn't. I do have a strange gift, but I don't like to use it. It freaks me out every time is surfaces, so I'd rather not talk about it much.

By the time our conversation had ended, three hours had gone by and Jackie's son had come home. The woman went up to her room and I talked with Jackie's son for a bit. We both agree that the woman is a bit of a nutter.

But she's just incredibly eccentric.

7:48 AM -  0 Comments - 0 Kudos - Add Comment  - Edit  - Remove

No comments:

Post a Comment